Q: What is Burlington Plantation?
A: Burlington Plantation’s Main House is a classic planter’s home built circa 1818. The property includes:
- Quaint Bride’s Cottage with ample room for day-of preparations.
- The unique Ice House bar which sits atop the circa 1700s brick ice pit.
- The Carriage House, the first floor providing a generous space for indoor cocktail hour with a gorgeous antique bar and the second floor our lofted Groom’s Den providing additional space for day-of event prep and/or a cozy nook for a babysitter and young guests.
- The Stables at Burlington. This ballroom features nearly 5,000 square feet of open event space, soft natural light from its cupolas, ample windows and French doors and high-end, elegant accents including multiple stunning chandeliers. Lofted mezzanine can be used for a grand wedding party entrance or additional seating for large events.
- The Stables is home to a brand-new, state-of-the-art warming kitchen for catering needs.
- For outdoor celebrations, charming Carriage Loop and scenic Sunken Garden can accommodate large or small events.
- All of our buildings feature modern amenities – heating and cooling, backup generators, and WIFI.
Q: Where is Burlington Plantation?
A: Burlington Plantation is located in Charles City County, Virginia, conveniently nestled between Richmond and Williamsburg. The venue is a short drive from locally and nationally known restaurants, shops, and hotels.
Q: What is there to do around Burlington Plantation?
A: Burlington Plantation is within a short drive of a number of Virginia attractions. We are situated along the Virginia Capital Trail, a 55 mile-long pedestrian and bicycle path connecting the capitals of Jamestown and Richmond. This region offers a host of award-winning wineries, fine dining, upscale shopping, theme parks, historical sites and cultural tours. See our Area Attractions page to plan your weekend activities.
Q: How do I reserve Burlington Plantation for my event?
Q: How many people can I host at Burlington Plantation?
A: Our flexible indoor and outdoor spaces can accommodate a range of event sizes.
- The Stables will host up to 500 guests indoors cocktail-style; up to 320 for a seated dinner reception.
- The Carriage Loop can accommodate up to 300 guests comfortably.
- The Sunken Garden is ideal for groups of 60 to 80.
- The Main House, Carriage House or Ice House are ideal for 30 to 40 guests.
- Groom’s Den or Bride’s Cottage are designed for small groups of up to 10 adults each.
Q: What are my options for a weather contingency plan?
A: You never need to worry about the weather interfering with your event at Burlington Plantation! In the case of inclement weather, outdoor ceremonies and events are held in the The Stables grand ballroom. Generators provide uninterrupted power so your special day won’t miss a beat!
Q: May I stay overnight at Burlington Plantation?
- There are two charming bedrooms in the Main House, each with two twin beds;
- Three sleeping rooms in the Bride’s Cottage with queen and twin beds accommodating up to 8 adults; and
- A sleeper sofa in the Groom’s Den to accommodate 2 adults.
Each building is equipped with at least one full bathroom. The Groom’s Den and Bride’s Cottage each have a full kitchen for guests’ convenience.
Q: Will Burlington Plantation host multiple events at once?
A: As our guest, you are our priority and will receive our very best individualized attention, as we only allow one event at a time.
Q: Do I need a wedding planner/day-of coordinator?
A: At this time, Burlington Plantation does not provide wedding planning services and we strongly recommend you hire a day-of wedding coordinator. Burlington Plantation staff and representatives are in place day-of event to provide you with the very best venue services only. Please refer to our Services page for details.
Q: May I hold my rehearsal dinner at Burlington Plantation?
A: We would be delighted for you to rent the property for your rehearsal dinner. When you rent the property for your event, a 1 hour ceremony rehearsal is included in the rental price. Should you wish, you may rent the property solely as a rehearsal dinner destination or in addition to your day-of-event rental. Please refer to our Services page for options on hosting your guests for a rehearsal dinner on the property.
Q: May I bring my own caterer?
A: At Burlington Plantation, we want your Big Day to be flawless so we have selected only the very best vendors for you catering, rental and tenting needs. We require you to choose from our Preferred Vendor List for these event details. For your convenience, we also provide a Recommended Vendors List for any additional needs.
Q: Is there a minimum or maximum facility rental time?
A: The event may last a maximum of six hours but must be finished by 11 PM, regardless of start time. Access to the Bride’s cottage begins at 11 AM day of the event. Access to the Groom’s Den begins two hours prior to the start of the ceremony.
Q: Are there time restrictions for set-up and break-down and/or arrival of vendors?
A: Your caterer will be granted access to the property three hours prior to the start of your event. All other vendors are granted access two hours prior to the start time of your event. Floral production is not permitted on site. All events must end at 11 PM. Vendors are granted 1.5 hours for post-event cleanup. Please refer to your Agreement for more details.
Q: Do I need a special ABC permit to serve beer, wine or cocktails at my event at Burlington Plantation?
A: Yes, all alcohol must be served in accordance with Virginia ABC laws and by a professional bartender, either through your caterer or other hired service, for the duration of your entire event. We require a copy of the caterer’s ABC license or you may provide us with a day-of banquet license individually procured from Charles City County. All guests will be served within the limitations of Virginia ABC regulations.
Q: What is your cancellation policy?
A: Cancellations made more than 180 days before event date: 25% of your facility rental fee will be refunded if we can re-book your event date.
We regret that cancellations made less than 180 days from your event date are unable to be refunded.
Q: How many vehicles can Burlington Plantation accommodate for parking?
A: We have ample parking for any event size including bus, limo and handicap accessible spaces.
Q: Is Burlington Plantation handicap accessible?
A: The Stables at Burlington Plantation is ADA compliant to ensure all guests are able to enjoy their events to the fullest. The property is equipped with wide brick walkways and Burlington Plantation staff is happy to assist with the transportation of disabled or elderly guests across the venue. Please let us know in advance of your event if your guests will need special assistance.
Q: What is your policy on children at events?
A: We welcome guests of all ages and simply ask that they be supervised at all times. You may bring a babysitter 18 years or older to Burlington Plantation. We are happy to arrange for children to be watched in the Groom’s Den or Bride’s Cottage. Overnight guests must be 12 years or older.
Q: Are pets allowed on premises?
A: Pets are not allowed; however, we welcome certified service animals.
Q: May I take engagement photos or bridal portraits at Burlington Plantation?
A: Photography at Burlington Plantation is reserved for contracted clients only, who may choose to have either their engagement photos or bridal portraits taken in accordance with the limitations presented in the Agreement.
Q: How can I schedule a tour of Burlington Plantation?
A: We would love to show you around our beautiful property. Please contact us to schedule a time to tour.